Drivers not required to carry Driving License and RC- Under New Motor Vehicle Rule
This post is written by Soumita Bhattacharyya
This rule would be applicable from October 1, 2020. The Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways brought the new rules to ensure easy and hassle-free commutation.
A notification was issued by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways pertaining to the amendments in the Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989.
The amendments require the implementation of the new rules and maintenance of Vehicular Documents and E-Challans via the portal and the same should be brought into effect from 1st October 2020. The new amendments would enforce the effective implementation of the MV Rules in a significant manner.
The Ministry Of Road Transport and Highways mentioned that the availability of IT services and electronic monitoring would enforce effective control by the administration through the traffic rules in India. This would directly cause for reduction of hassle and harassment of drivers and the citizens.
The new rules brought into effect from October 1, 2020, mentions the below points-
- No requirement of License/RC: Driving License, Registration, and Insurance documents are not required to be carried physically if registered and validated through the government portal from October 1st, 2020.
- Digi Locker- Also known as M-Parivahan, is the portal where all the documents can be stored by registering their mobile numbers and are easily available in any playstores.
- Revoking of Licence- revoking of License by a driver can also be done through this digital platform. The e-portal would record the details of the revoked driving license and update all the details accordingly.
- Electronic Challans- Online portals will avail E-Challans for easy access by the citizens.
- Free-hand Phones usage Allowed- drivers can now use free-hand phones for the purpose of navigation and directions. This only applicable when it doesn’t diverts a driver’s attention while driving and causes for any inconvenience or accidents.